LEVEL 1 – Beginner to Intermediate – Building a Solid Foundation
Duration: 7 months.
Ashram Yoga’s yoga teacher training course is designed to make you a confident, competent and qualified yoga teacher. Level 1 teacher training gives you a firm foundation whether your intention is to teach, or deepen your own knowledge, or move towards advanced levels of yoga.
This course starts with the beginning stages of yoga postures, movement, breathing, relaxation and meditation and progressively moving through to the more extended forms in a systematic way. No previous experience with yoga is necessary and there are no exams to pass.
Each month builds upon the preceding months giving you a comprehensive and progressive understanding of the yoga practices. The course includes both theory and experience so by the end you will be comfortable teaching yoga.
- 6 x weekend workshops including attending Friday 6pm class, Friday evening programme and Saturday/Sunday class observation
- 1 x anatomy intensive weekend
- 2 x teaching weekend
- Daily personal practice for the month in between each workshop
- Monthly assignments comprising home study and written exercises
The course includes workbooks and all information needed. Extra text books are of benefit, although not compulsory, and are available at Ashram Yoga.
This courses includes homework assignments which we will mark and give you feedback, but there are no pass/fail exams.
The course covers a full spectrum of practices from absolute beginners to intermediate level:
- Asanas: yoga postures – moving, holding and corrective for the various bodily systems, e.g. digestive, hormonal, reproductive, etc.
- Pranayama: yogic breathing techniques to both energize and balance.
- Mudra: hand gestures that direct internal energy
- Mantra: powerful sound patterns that liberate the mind and emotions
- Nidra Vidya: systematic yogic relaxation
- Meditation: a systematic approach to release stress and increase the awareness
- Shatkarmas: techniques to purify and cleanse the body
- Anatomy and Physiology: structure and function of the main physical body systems, and the energy systems of the subtle body. The last weekend is dedicated to learning the anatomy of knees, hips, shoulder girdle and alignment for safety in yoga classes.
- Balancing: application of yoga to body, energy, mind and emotions
- Yoga Therapy: Elementary therapeutic yoga for back problems, migraines, breathing needs, etc.
- Posture: postural and adjustment techniques
- Teaching: Teaching methodology, useful tips and experience
- Diet: Introduction to Ayurveda – the sister healing science to yoga
- Philosophy: Introduction to yoga philosophy and ancient wisdom
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Formulate group and individual classes for differing levels of ability and needs including utilizing yoga postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayama), relaxation and simple meditation techniques.
- Apply beginners to intermediate yoga practices for overall health, wellness and therapeutic benefits.
- Understand how to apply the practices for optimum effect – for yourself and in yoga classes.
- Understand the physiological and psychological effects of practicing yoga: how it affects our body, energy, brain and mind.
Dates for 2016
Please note that weekends start at 6pm on Friday and finish about 6pm on Sunday.
- Weekend 1: Friday 11-13 March
- Weekend 2: Friday 8-10 April
- Weekend 3: Friday 6-8 May
- Weekend 4: Friday 10-12 June
- Weekend 5: Friday 8-10 July
- Weekend 6: Friday 12-14 August
- Weekend 7: Saturday 27-28 August. Anatomy
- Weekend 8: Saturday 10-11 September. Teaching weekend
- Weekend 9: Saturday 24-25 September. Teaching weekend
Please note there is also a One-Month Intensive version of this course.
Weekend Workshop Structure
The weekend starts with a yoga class at 6:00pm to 7:30pm on Friday night. This class is a required part of the course. After the class is the Friday evening programme including a vegetarian meal and satsang – discussion on a topic relevant to your course. It concludes at 9:30pm.
We run regular yoga classes at 8am on Saturdays and Sundays. During the workshop your attendance at one of these classes is required. If you live in Auckland, then there is some flexibility with this and you may do a yoga class at Ashram Yoga at another time during the month.
Apart from Friday night, meals are not provided. You may bring your own or go to one of the cafes around the corner on Parnell Road.
The workshops include a number of breaks throughout the day and generally finishes around 6:30pm on Saturday and Sunday.
The weekends are designed to fulfill the Yoga Alliance requirements – including contact hours with the course instructors.
If you miss a weekend, whether that is the first weekend or one during the course, then that is no problem at all. We can arrange for a course instructor to take you through the course material in a private session. The cost is $150 per missed day per person.
Ashram Yoga: the Teacher of Teachers
Ashram Yoga has taught this course in Auckland for over fifteen years and has hundreds of graduates – many of whom are actively teaching today. We are widely regarded as one of the original sources of yoga training in New Zealand. We take a lot of pride in the quality and comprehensiveness of our teaching training courses which have developed over the years.
We realise that yoga has much more to offer that just physical fitness. Our yoga style incorporates yoga postures (asana), yogic breathing techniques (pranayama), guided relaxation (yoga nidra) and meditation. We value yoga for its remarkable ability to establish inner and outer balance. Our style is suitable and adaptable to everyone: beginners, advanced yogis, seniors, pregnant women and those with injuries.
Why Do Level 1 Part-time with Ashram Yoga?
We asked senior instructor Devananda about why students should do the Level 1 part-time course and why they should choose Ashram Yoga. Read more
Interviews with Level 1 Graduates
We interviewed some of our graduates about their experience yoga teacher training:
Yoga Alliance 200-hour Certification Option
Registration with the Yoga Alliance is optional. Ashram Yoga Level 1 200-hour teacher training is inclusive of all
hours you need for this certification. However, registration and fees for joining the Yoga Alliance are separate from and additional to this course. You can read more about our Yoga Alliance certification options on this website’s Yoga Alliance
Registration for 2016
Early Bird Rate:……………NZ$3250 if paid in full by 31 January 2016.
Installment Option:……Participants may apply to pay for this course in installments: a $500 deposit then six $500 installments over six months and a final payment of $200 ($3700).
To enrol in the course, please fill in this form online and then submit a $500 deposit.
If you would like a course instructor to call you to discuss the course, please contact us.
Please note: To ensure a place send a $500 non-refundable deposit to Ashram Yoga. An additional 4% is charged if paying by Paypal or by credit card. If paying by direct deposit, please contact us for our bank account details.