Join us for a one-month intensive retreat in beautiful New Zealand. Experience living and learning yoga in a focused environment at Ashram Yoga’s beachside retreat centre.
Our one-month course is designed to advance your understanding and experience of yoga. It also qualifies you for Yoga Alliance certification – an internationally recognised standard.
As one of New Zealand’s oldest yoga schools we have extensive knowledge and experience in yoga – and we love sharing it.
We run two different one-month retreats:
Level 1 Intensive – 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher
A one-month course that systematically teaches you yoga postures (asana), breathing (pranaymana), meditation, guided relaxation, teaching methodology and much more.
Since it starts right at the beginning no previous experience with yoga is necessary.
Read more below.
Level 2 & 3 Intensive – 500-hour Registered Yoga Teacher
A one-month course learning advanced postures, breathing techniques, meditation, yoga philosophy and yoga therapy.
As a prerequisite you must have experience with yoga. For Yoga Alliance certification you must have completed either our Level 1 training or a similar 200-hour yoga teacher training course.
Read more below.
See photos of past intensives: February 2012 and May 2012
LEVEL 1 INTENSIVE – 200-Hour Registered Yoga Teacher
A one-month retreat for beginner to intermediate level. We start with the beginning stages of postures, movement, breathing, relaxation and meditation and builds up to the more extended forms. This course gives you a firm experiential foundation for personal practice and teaching. It is designed to make you a competent, confident and qualified yoga teacher.
No previous experience with yoga is required for this course. Upon completion of this course you will be qualified to apply for the Yoga Alliance’s 200-hour certification.
The course covers a full spectrum of practices from absolute beginner to intermediate level:
• Asanas: yoga postures – moving, holding and corrective for the various bodily systems, e.g. digestive, hormonal, reproductive, etc.
• Pranayama: yogic breathing techniques to both energise and balance.
• Mudra: energetic gestures
• Mantra: primordial sounds
• Yoga Nidra: systematic yogic relaxation
• Meditation: a systematic approach to release stress and increase the awareness
• Shatkarmas: to purify and cleanse the body
• Anatomy and Physiology: structure and function of the main physical body systems, and the energy systems of the subtle body
• Application of yoga to body, energy, mind and emotions
• Elementary therapeutic yoga for pregnancy, back problems, migraines, breathing needs, etc.
• Postural and Adjustment techniques
• Teaching Methodology
• Introduction to Ayurveda (sister healing science to yoga)
• Introduction to the Yoga Philosophy
On completion of this course you are able to:
• Formulate group and individual classes for differing levels of ability and needs including utilising postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayama), guided relaxation and simple meditation techniques
• Apply beginner to intermediate yoga practices for overall health, wellness and therapeutic benefits
• Understand how to apply the practices for optimum effect, for your own practice and in yoga classes
• Understand the physiological and psychological effects of practicing yoga: how it affects our body, energy, brain and mind
Dates:…………………1-28 February 2013
……………………………NZ$4000 early bird rate if paid in full by 1 December 2012
Dates:…………………1-28 May 2013
……………………………NZ$4000 early bird rate if paid in full by 1 March 2013
* Convert to your currency here.
For more information about Level 1 Intensive such as the course content, location, accommodation, meals, instructors, how to enrol and more visit this page.
If you would like an instructor to call you about the course or if you have any questions, then please fill in this form online.
LEVEL 2 & 3 INTENSIVE – 500-Hour Registered Yoga Teacher
If you want to deepen your understanding and experience of yoga, increase your teaching skills and achieve 500-hour Yoga Alliance accreditation, then Level 2 & 3 Intensive is for you.
Level 2 & 3 Intensive comprises Ashram Yoga’s Teacher Training Level 2 and 3. It is open to those who have experience with yoga. For Yoga Alliance’s 500-hour certification you need to have completed either Level 1, Level 1 Intensive or a similar 200-hour yoga course recognised by Yoga Alliance.
Level 2: Intermediate to Progressive Intermediate
In this stage, you learn a more advanced level of asana, pranayama, bandha, mudra, yoga nidra and shatkarmas, as well as deeper meditation and philosophical studies.
• Dhara Yogasana (flowing yoga)
• Ayurveda: India’s natural medicine and its application to yoga
• Yoga Philosophy
• The four main branches of yoga (Karma – activity, Bhakti – devotion, Raja – meditation, Jnana – knowledge)
• Specific studies on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, an ancient text on the spiritual journey and the psychology of mind
• Principles and application of tantra and yoga (including prana, gunas, tattwas, nadis, chakras and koshas)
• Systematic application of deeper meditation techniques
Level 3: Advanced Yoga and Yoga Therapy
This stage takes you into the profound aspects of yoga practices and knowledge. This level of teaching is advanced and includes powerful techniques that transform the body, mind and energy. The practices have been systematized to make it easier you for to use and teach.
Knowledge gained includes:
• Advanced asana and pranayama
• Extended dhara yoga asanas (flowing postures)
• How to assess your students physically
• Teaching for special needs
• Elementary asana therapy for the muscular/skeletal system
• Asanas for therapeutic application
• Using chakras and their kshetrams (trigger points)
• The use and practice of mudras in yoga teaching
• The deeper yoga symbols of the psyche and how to use these in yoga nidra
• In-depth meditation series
• Dharana Akasha – study of the main inner spaces of the subtle body
• Nada Yoga (yoga of sound) in a teaching situation
• Samkhya system of manifestation
• Mantra and Sanskrit chants
• Kundalini Yoga practices
• Havan – fire purification ceremony
N.B. A First Aid course completed is an additional requirement for this course (not included in course fee). For RYT 500hr registration 100 hours of teaching experience is needed.
(Please note that Level 2 and Level 3 may be taken separately.)
Level 2…………….NZ$3300. Early bird rate of $3000 if paid in full by 1 September 2013
Level 3…………….NZ$2500. Early bird rate is $2200 if paid in full by 1 September 2013
Level 2 & 3………NZ$5300. Early bird rate is $5000 if paid in full by 1 September 2013
* Convert prices to your currency here.
Level 2:………………..1-19 November 2013
Level 3:………………..20-30 November 2013
For more information on Level 2 & 3 Intensive including details about the course content, location, accommodation, meals, instructors, how to enrol and more visit this page.
If you would like an instructor to call you about the course, then please fill in this form online.
“Experience of a lifetime!!! That is how I would express the One Month Intensive 2 Teacher Training. I was the furthest to travel to Ohui, coming from the US. I was picked up at the airport and my adventure began.
“I arrived to Ohui late at night and wasn’t able to view the beauty of the property until the next morning. What could be better than studying and living yoga on the Pacific Ocean! Our teacher training group quickly became the closest of friends and Shanti, Atma and Yogashakti couldn’t have been more welcoming or helpful.
“The days were filled with peace and activity all at the same time, karma yoga was especially fun. All in all, the learning and experiences we had were amazing, enlightening and life changing and I have kept up with all the practices and studies since being home.”
- Anandabhakti (course graduate 2009)
Ashram Yoga and Ohui Retreat
Located on Opoutere Beach (pictured right) Ashram Yoga’s Ohui Retreat regularly runs one-month intensive courses, workshops, meditation weekends, yoga classes and personal retreats. We also have a studio in Parnell, Auckland City.
Ashram Yoga is one of New Zealand’s oldest yoga schools. It had its beginnings in Auckland in 1980. Since then we have taught many thousands of students in classes, workshops, retreats and teacher training courses. Our teacher training programmes have been consistently popular and we have hundreds of graduates – many of whom are actively teaching today.
Our teachings have their roots with Swami Satyananda Saraswati who taught traditional yoga to the West in the 1960s. Ashram Yoga’s style may be described as classical and integrated yoga. Our approach is to use the complete system of yoga for our whole person and personality; physiological through to psychological aspects; body, energy, emotions and mind.
Our approach is suitable for beginners, seniors, pregnant women and those with injuries. For those looking for advanced practices – you’ll find yoga to be both profound and very challenging!